Continuation of the photos. The blog finally let me upload more! So here is where we are...more pictures of us up at Stony Pass. That was just one stunning area. I took a photo of one section of the crazy road we drove on. Fun fun! Now here is something crazy. It is very hard to see on the 5th picture...but way up high, on the front side of the mountain; is a miner's bunk house from the 1800s. This thing is out of control! They had to take an ore bucket on a tram, to make it up there; to build, live and keep supplies coming. I can't put my mind on it...the amazing fact that this bunk house is still up there, along with another building. The miner's had a working kitchen, and living quarters. Pretty awesome. We have been everywhere on this San Juan mountain range! From Pagosa Springs, to passes as high as 12,700 ft. (Hurricane Pass). Today we went up to Hurricane Pass, elevation 12,700 ft. Another crazy road. I tell you what...these miner's from years and years and years ago were flat out crazy! The amount of mine tunnels and towns scattered about the San Juan's, are INSANE. There was clearly a lot of risk taking to find that gold (and I saw a lot of grave sites to prove how many men lost their lives, in the pursuit of gold)! The last couple of pictures are of an old mine that is up by Hurricane pass. One of the better preserved mines, and we hiked up it, to take a closer look. This is the stuff I love. To think about the hardships those men had to endure. Wow. Before we headed back to our RV Resort in Durango; Jeff let me take some time to wander the Silverton's "Hillside Cemetery." I did that years ago, but wanted to do it again. It intrigues me so much. The stories these people had. What I also thought was interesting, was how they actually listed on the tombstones, with how the people died. You don't see that today. It made me so sad to see all the baby grave sites. I found one that had the remains of 3 month old twins. A boy and a girl. I definitely will get back up there and spend a couple of hours checking the whole cemetery out. It's history and people's stories, that are available for anyone of us, that want to take the time to invest in it. Tomorrow is our last day of vacation. We return home on Saturday. I do believe we head to Ouray tomorrow. That's a pretty great town too. Out of the many times we have returned to our San Juan's, I always discover new things, and return to the well known places and adventures. This is one great place, and I thank God for allowing us to escape, and take this vacation. In our new trailer, in a fantastic RV Resort, in our favorite mountain range and towns. It's been a blessing.
P.S. You will also see our trailer set up at our campsite, at the Durango Riverside RV Resort. It has been our home all week, and it is the best place! I also took a couple more photos of the inside of the trailer...and YES...that one picture with Kent, sitting on the ground, he is feeding chipmunks sunflower seeds. They were so calm around him. Sweet!!
No comments:
Post a Comment